Meuhedet was established in 1974 following the merger of the Amamit and Merkazit health-care providers. Amamit was founded in 1931 by
Hadassah for the Farmers Federation and the National Farmers Association, to provide medical services for the collective agricultural labor settlements. Merkazit was
founded in 1936 for the General Zionists' workers organization, to provide medical services for the self-employed and salaried workers in the towns,
and later to professionals.
Meuhedet is the third largest health-care provider in Israel, and plans are underway to increase its membership base. In public opinion polls
stacking up all of Israel's health funds, Meuhedet, with its emphases on good service and the professionalism of its physicians, consistently comes out on top for member
Meuhedet has the highest membership growth rate of all the health-care providers, and currently serves over one million members.
Chairman of the Board: Rabbi Yerachmiel Boyer.
CEO: Prof. Asher Elhayany
Meuhedet's additional health services (supplementary insurance)
Meuhedet offers the following Additional Health Services (AHS):
- the basic AHS plan, providing a range of discounts and benefits in the following areas: drug treatments that are not included in the basic
health basket, post-surgery convalescence, medical assistance abroad, diagnosis and treatment of fertility disorders, etc.
- an AHS plan that includes treatment services abroad, gynecology and obstetrics, pediatric medicine, preventive medicine, etc.
- a supplementary insurance plan for seniors, including a number of tracks for assistance and financial reimbursement, nursing home care, or nursing
care or supervision by a caregiver in the home.
- Meuhedet offers a range of overseas travel insurance policies, including
Blue Passport, Gold Passport, and Extreme Passport.
- Meuhedet employs over 3,500 doctors nationwide, and Meuhedet members are free to choose any treating physician they wish.
- Meuhedet has four administrative districts and over 250 clinics throughout the country.
- there are dozens of Meuhedet pharmacies throughout the country, as well as hundreds of private pharmacies, including the NewPharm and SuperPharm chains,
that serve Meuhedet members.
- most Meuhedet clinics have their own laboratories for taking blood. Samples are sent to several Meuhedet central laboratories for processing.
- Meuhedet institutes offer services in a variety of fields, including:
imaging (x-ray, ultrasound, mammography, etc.), child development, physiotherapy, women's health, diabetes, heart, etc.
Complementary medicine and pain clinics
- Meuhedet has a number of complementary medicine and pain clinics around the country, where a variety of treatment methods are administered under
traditional medical supervision. Professional therapists provide service of the highest standard. The clinics offer a range of treatments combining complementary with conventional
medicine, and a wide selection of workshops and therapies based on ancient traditions as well as innovative treatments such as shiatsu, reflexology, tuina, homeopathy, chiropractic,
massage, the Paula method, Feldenkrais, bio-feedback, etc.
- Meuhedet operates a countrywide network of dental clinics offering a wide range of treatments including preventive dental medicine, orthodontics and oral and
maxillofacial treatment, complex dental treatment for high-risk patients, anesthesia and child treatments, as well as fillings, extractions, crowns, etc.
- Meuhedet has a sports medicine center providing services for members engaged in physical activity at all levels, from amateurs to professional athletes.
Meuhedet is the only health-care provider to operate such a center. The services offered by the center include giving members the go-ahead to participate in sports; medical and physiological
tests; nutritional, therapeutic and rehabilitation counseling; and diagnosing and treating sports injuries.
Health promotion and workshops
- Meuhedet runs workshops around the country for all ages on numerous subjects such as quitting smoking, childbirth and parenting, good nutrition,
developmental and learning disabilities, physical activity and movement, first aid, and more.
Sheltered housing for seniors
- Meuhedet runs the Neve Amit chain of high-quality residences for senior citizens. The chain, which firmly believes that seniors should enjoy a high
standard of living, offers zesty seniors sheltered accommodation, an elderly citizen's home, a nursing home, and rehabilitation and treatment for patients requiring permanent
nursing care. The chain has six housing complexes around the country.
Meuhedet operates two hotels:
- The Tiberias Bali Hotel is the first hotel in Israel to give every member of the family the ultimate vacation-with-a-difference, under one roof.
The Canaan Spa Hotel in Safed offers luxury lodgings that pamper its guests, and in addition to spa treatments and gourmet meals, also provides lectures and workshops of a
spiritual and artistic nature.